27 September 2011

Why do it?

Because I can.

I had never really given serious consideration to running a marathon until recently.  I have been exercising for probably ten years at this point, but you'd never be able to tell by looking at me.  My body is not weak, but my muscles are substantially obscured by a "lipid outer layer."  Working out was initially a tool that I used to help me quit smoking.  It subsequently became the means by which I have allowed myself essentially no dietary restriction while remaining somewhere shy of obese.

For years all of my exercise was done indoors; treadmills & cardio machines have been a staple in my life.  When I was travelling, I would seek out the hotel gym to keep up with whatever exercise program with which I was currently engaged.  Sometimes, however, I would use those opportunities to try something new.  Five years ago, I was on a beach vacation & had no access to a gym.  That was the first time in my adult life that I ran.

On that beach trip, I discovered something that would become increasingly more important to me.  A seed was planted that would grow into, perhaps, an obsession.  I've decided to give legs  to that obsession.  A marathon, it seems, is the perfect outgrowth of the love of running.

The time has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment