28 November 2011

Discipline

It’s still very hard to run so slowly.  True, I do get a smattering of fast(ish) interval runs, and Thanksgiving happened to coincide with the first tempo run on my training schedule.  It felt good to run fast for a change.

Still, many of my runs are still “A” runs, which means a maximum heart rate of 70% of maximum -- to wit, 140 bpm.  Especially running on Greenville hills, this can be an excruciatingly slow run.  So, I want to run faster.  Also, there are many running plans that would have me running faster.  I wouldn’t have to look too long or hard to find an 18-week training program that would allow me to run faster every day.

And so, my eyes wander.  I start wondering why I’m on the particular program that I am.  Does any other program at all indicate that I should run so slowly?

In short: yes.  In addition to the program that I am following as prepared by Coach Benson and Dr. Connolly, one of the other leading authors in the field recommends that, indeed, I need to be running just so slowly.  If I understand correctly, Dr. Philip Maffetone, author of The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing and other works, would have me basically never run at a higher heart rate than 180 - age.  So, Dr. Maffetone would have me under 142 bpm throughout my training (under 141 in a couple short months).  I’ve purchased his book and will look to it for reinforcement of the plan I’ve already undertaken.

Meanwhile, my moderate “B” runs are getting much more enjoyable.  “B” runs are my long runs that hold me to a top heart rate of 75% of max, or 150 bpm.  This used to be agonizingly slow to me.  And really, it is a frustrating struggle to fight with my heart rate monitor for an hour and a half, running right at the top edge of the range -- basically, being told to slow down for a whole run.  For my last couple “B” runs, however, I’ve tried to target 72% or 73% for the duration.  That way, if I lose control and start to run too fast, I have a little free reign before the punishment inflicted by the heart rate monitor ensues (beeping).  I find myself glad to run at these lower rates with the added freedom of not walking a tightrope for the whole run.  Ahh, I think I am on to something, indeed…

Yes, it’s still slow.  If I were to take my average pace from yesterday and figure my marathon time from that, it would put me basically right at a six hour marathon. 

But alas, most training programs do not even run this long.  It’s almost as if I haven’t even begun training yet under most systems.  And yet benefits have already been conferred.  True, my pace isn’t quite what I’d like it to be -- but my primary goal is to finish the marathon, not win it.  I’m learning the discipline that it takes to run all day. 

Man, I love running.

No comments:

Post a Comment